Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Grizz V Supes; 11/7/7


This was the type of game (see empty seats above) NBA commissioner David Stern hates; a midweek match up in a city where the home team's fans don't give a shit and the visitor's are an irrelevant franchise. The game did have a slight touch of intrigue due to a story I had read earlier in the week quoting Spur's Coach Greg Pop calling the Grizz a playoff team. Then I remembered Damon (Pictured below) still plays for Memphis which led me to think of the last game I saw at the Rose Garden; 2 years ago against Memphis where Damon blew out his knee finishing his season. While I was walking up 3rd Ave to the Seattle Center I hoped I wouldn't be some type of curse on the Wilson High alum, gotta respect Damon in spite of his inability to play D and to light up without getting busted.

Add the free schedule magnet handed out at the door and I felt ok about the cost of my ticket but the snacks in my bag (seeds, Odwalla bar and Gatorade) got me through this dismal game. Turns out the Grizz roll white guys like they play in Utah; Gasol, Miller(20 pts. and 8 reb.), Brian 'The Janitor' Cardinal, Casey Jacobsen and Darko (15 and 10). When I got home I did have to read up on their coach, Marc Iavaroni, I was impressed with his bio and what he did with this team's funky set of talent. The Grizzlies moved the ball well, at times making the extra pass and also had exciting glimpses from stud Rudy Gay (25 and 10).


I did miss the start of the game, saw Rid actually get off the pine and during halftime paid $75 for an 18 year olds autograph (At the team store I bought a Durant mini ball, it's going to go nicely with my Slick Watts mini ball). Walking back to my seat I heard a kid saying Jeff Green gave him an autograph at halftime, now I'm lazy/old and just pay for mine, besides I have no right to get in the way of some kid trying to get an autograph. Speaking of kids one sitting behind me would not shut up, 'Give the ball to KEVIN DURANT!!' (pictured above 3 -17 fgs but 10-10 fts) before I got annoyed I realized that was me how ever many years ago. Old ladies also behind me call Chris Wilcox (21 and 8) weezy, which is not funny and uhh before the game started in the bathroom while trying to wash my hands and finding for the 2nd straight game no soap the dude at the sink next to me realized not only was the soap dispenser empty but it didn't even have a bag of soap in it. I turned to him and said, 'Shit, at least they're leaving' then after he left I took a picture to prove the Sonics have given up and are indeed leaving Seattle;

No comments: