Thursday, August 16, 2007

LeRoy Bell and His Only Friends: 8/14/7


DowntownSummer.com is a an easy way for any Seattle urbanite to click their way to a summer of sun (maybe) and culture (music and art). I went to the site in an attempt to avoid my office's break room and the local restaurant's counters during the noon hour. I found the Out to Lunch Summer Concert Series, clocked out, left my Ipod in my desk then dodged and weaved between the city's slow moving wide eyed tourist to Pike Place Market. The stage was set at 1st and Pike, the entrance to the Market and its 100 years of unique sights, sounds and smells, lots of smells. Amongst the hustle and bustle LeRoy Bell and His Only Friends held an audience of a couple hundred, many were seated in black folding chairs and others were stacked on the sidewalks.

By the 3rd song I heard LeRoy picked up the tempo and started to make me forget about the hot sun and the office all together. I would pay up to $15 to see LeRoy which was the price I paid for his latest album, 'LeRoy Bell Live in 3D' recorded at The Triple Door. I haven't gotten the chance to listen but it'll probably be good, LeRoy has been making quality music for years; In 1979 LeRoy co-authored Elton John's Grammy nominated Top 10 hit, 'Mamma Can't Buy You Love'.

No comments: