Thursday, April 19, 2007

King Felix, Kobe, Yao and Maybe the Mavs

Occidental Avenue was electric oh so many days ago on Opening Day at Safeco Field. The call to my office's sick line was a little less than convincing, which was surprising considering I called seconds after KEXP woke me up 2 hours before my shift. I loaded up on the kettle corn at that one place, you know the one and moments later caught my first glimpse of Mariner Mecca. The best available seats purchased online (after surcharges pillaged my debit card) were in the Family Section, meaning no beer. To anyone that smiles when they see a cute baby I strongly suggest sitting in the family section once for 2 reasons; 1)You have to be much more creative when hurling verbal insults onto the field to accomadate the young impressionable minds. "You're mother is a f*cking whore!" becomes, "You're mother is promiscuous" 2) Exclusive to the game of baseball children give ball games a special extra twinkle, or something else all gooey. The wide eyes, sun burnt cheeks and little gloves are undeniable.
King Felix got a loud roar from the crowd during introductions and before it could die down he had already struck out half of the A's lineup. It was chilly in the upper deck, thank goodness I brought a pair of gloves(runner fleece gloves are key). Sexson hit a jack, Ichiro drove a couple in and of course Felix got the W.

Moving right along here.. On Friday, April the 6th at Key Bigfoot almost stole the whole damn show. During the introductions he was seen rappelling from the rafters, landing by some drums and rocking 'Enter Sandman'. This was followed by a particularly gifted women for the 4oth straight year giving as good of a rendition of the National Anthem I've ever heard. Gotta say it is down right disrespectful to her talent I cannot recall her name. Trust me she rocked it like Kobe. The award for 'most creativity' during the game goes to the young man that sat next to me for his, 'Kobe you'll never be Lebron' sign; an amazingly profound point when you think about it. Oh yeah and #24 Kobe Bryant dropped 46 shooting a total of 24 free throws. That was a good thing because it's me and the old school 4 mega pixel camera making for a lot of blurry shots.



The Houston Rockets were an appropriate team to watch on a Monday after work, that is both a compliment and a, "The Rockets haven't been cool since they ditched the pinstripe jerseys." Yao
l ooked as tall as I remembered and uhh he scored 31. Whenever I watched T-Mac with the ball I thought of that Adidas commercial that the only part I can remember is the end when the kidsare like, "And then it rains!". Not even worth trying to link to that one. I was truely pumped to see Dick Bavetta calling the game, what a stud diving Charlie Hustle style trying to beat Sir Charles in Vegas. Much like the Nuggets and Lakers the Rockets were making the hustle plays; deflections, weak side help and all the other stuff Zach Randolph doesn't do to win the game to make the push for the real season. Rashard Lewis passed Shawn Kemp on the Sonics scoring list. Too bad he has not won a meaningful game for the franchise during his career. I want to see the man do good, hopefully we get to see him and Jesus S. HEALTHY on the wings next year at the Hardwood.

Last night the Mavericks most definetly were all over the Hardwood, when I showed up mid 3rd they were up by 27. I saw Dirk hit a couple Js and left halfway through the 4th. Just wanted to say to all of you I saw the 'o7 MVP this year. Really though I'll be honest I wanted my Bigfoot theme song CD with that guy from that band. You know the one, I bought the orange casseste single when I was little and my mom only let me listen to the side with "Peaches". Thanks for nothing, mom. Also note I saw The Long Winters in PDX last weekend, fun show and worth the money. Dude opened up the concert with something close to, "It's great to be back in the Northwest were people don't say what they mean, I hate it." Nicely put.

No comments: